Feta with Honey and Sesame Seedsstarter
- Prep time:
- 10 mins
- Cook time:
- 5 mins
- Suitable for:
- Vegetarians, Everyone
- Provided by:
- Haughton Honey
Ready in only 10 minutes, this Greek dish will definitely become your favourite starter.
A mouthwatering vegetarian dish and an extraordinary combination of juicy, salty fried feta covered with crispy, golden brown sesame seeds and a sweet honey sauce. Sounds complicated? Well, it isn’t! Serve with a leafy green salad and a crisp, cold glass of white wine.
- 250g of good feta cheese
- 2 free range eggs
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 70-80g of plain flour (enough to coat the Feta)
- 60g of sesame seeds
- Olive oil for frying
- 4 tablespoons of Haughton Honey
- To prepare the fried feta start by cutting the cheese into little blocks, about 1.5cm thick.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk with a fork. Into another bowl add the flour, the paprika and the pepper and mix with a spoon to combine the ingredients. Place the sesame seeds in to a third bowl.
- Roll each piece of feta into the eggs and then roll them into the flour. Roll each piece again into the eggs and then in the sesame seeds, so that all sides are covered.
- Heat about 6 or 7 good tablespoons of olive oil into a frying pan (just enough to cover the base of the pan) and fry the feta until nicely coloured. Use a slotted spoon to flip the fried feta, so that it is nicely coloured on all sides. When done place on some kitchen paper to absorb the extra olive oil.
- Meanwhile, warm the honey gently in a small pan until liquid.
- Drizzle the honey generously over the cheese and serve whilst still hot.
Notes for the cook: if you have a fan-assisted oven then reduce the specified temperature in the recipe by about 15% ~ 1 teaspoon = 5ml and 1 tablespoon = 15ml ~ some ingredients are measured in cups and some equivalents are; 150g, 6oz (1/2 cup) = 120ml, 4fl oz