Peking Roast Chicken With Hoisin, Spring Onion And Wrapsmaincourse
- Prep time:
- 30 mins
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 30 mins
- Suitable for:
- Meat Eaters
- Provided by:
- Happy Seasons
This recipe is for a Chinese banquet favourite, Peking chicken roasted until the skin is crisp, then served with stir-fried greens, spring onion, hoisin sauce and wraps.
You'll need to begin this recipe 1-2 days ahead.
Note - Shaoxing is available from selected supermarkets and Asian food shops, or substitute dry sherry instead. Peking duck wrappers and pillar box red food colouring are also both available from Asian food shops and selected supermarkets. The food colouring is available in both powder and liquid form.
- 2 x 2.2kg whole roasting chickens, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons of sesame oil
- 2 bunches of Asian greens (choy sum, gai lan)
- 60ml of Shaoxing rice wine (or dry sherry)
- 60ml of oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons of Haughton Honey
- 1 teaspoon of five spice powder
- Pillar box red food colouring powder
- Peking duck wraps, hoisin sauce and sliced spring onion to serve
- Using paper towel, pat the chicken skins and cavities dry. Place on a wire rack in a roasting pan and refrigerate, uncovered, for 1–2 days to dry out the skin; the longer you do this, the crisper the skin will be when roasting.
- Preheat your oven to 200˚C. Tie each pair of chicken legs together with kitchen string, then return the chickens to the wire rack in roasting pan. Pour 500 ml water in the pan to prevent the pan drippings burning; add more water throughout cooking if necessary.
- Combine the marinade ingredients with 60 ml water and stir to combine. Brush the chickens thoroughly with the marinade mixture.
- Roast for 35 minutes or until skin is starting to brown. Reduce the heat to 170˚C. Roast, basting every 20 minutes, for a further 55 minutes or until the skin is browned and crisp and the juices run clear when the thickest part of the thigh is pierced with a skewer.
- Meanwhile, the heat sesame oil in a wok over a high heat. Add the Asian greens and stir-fry for 3 minutes or until just wilted. Add the rice wine and oyster sauce, and toss to heat through.
- Serve the roast chicken with duck wrappers, hoisin sauce, spring onion and Asian greens.
Notes for the cook: if you have a fan-assisted oven then reduce the specified temperature in the recipe by about 15% ~ 1 teaspoon = 5ml and 1 tablespoon = 15ml ~ some ingredients are measured in cups and some equivalents are; 150g, 6oz (1/2 cup) = 120ml, 4fl oz