Sticky pork belly with Vietnamese-style salad & smashed peanutsmaincourse
- Prep time:
- 4hrs 25mins
- Cook time:
- 2hrs 25mins
- Suitable for:
- Meat Eaters
- Provided by:
Flavoursome pork with hoisin, honey and soy, served with coconut rice and a crunchy cucumber, radish and herb salad with zesty chilli dressing!
Tip: How to make coconut rice.
Soak 100g sticky rice in cold water for 30 mins. Drain and tip into a saucepan, along with 1 kaffir lime leaf and a good pinch of salt. Pour over 165ml can coconut milk, use 1tbps water to rinse out the can and pour this over the rice, too. Pop on the lid, bring to the boil, then turn the heat to its lowest setting and simmer for 10 mins. Turn off the heat and leave to steam for 10 mins more. Fluff the rice with a fork before serving.
- 600g of pork belly
- 6 tablespoons of hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons of Haughton Honey
- 3 tablespoons of rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons of light soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons of tomato ketchup
- Coconut rice, to serve
- FOR THE SALAD: 1/4 of a cucumber cut in to ribbons
- 6 radishes, sliced
- 75g of sugar snap peas, halved horizontally
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons of mint leaves, large leaves torn
- 2 tablespoons of Thai basil, large leaves torn (use coriander if you can't find this)
- 1 tablespoon of salted peanut, toasted and lightly smashed in a pestle and mortar
- FOR THE DRESSING: 1 small red chilli, finely chopped
- ½ garlic clove, grated
- The juice of ½ lime
- 1½ teaspoons of light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of rice vinegar
- Remove the rind from the pork and put the meat in a large sealable food bag or casserole dish. In a bowl, mix the hoisin, honey, vinegar, soy, ketchup and ginger, then pour over the pork and massage well. Seal the bag or cover the dish and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 4 hrs, or overnight.
- Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Transfer the pork and its marinade to a snug roasting tin, lined with foil. Pour over 50ml water, cover with foil and roast for 2 hrs, or until tender, basting halfway through. Take the pork out and increase oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Remove the foil and pour the sauce into a small pan. Bring the sauce to the boil and let it bubble until thick and syrupy. Brush some of the sauce all over the pork and pop back in the oven, uncovered, for 20 mins until sticky and caramelised in places. Transfer to a chopping board, cover lightly with foil and leave to rest for 20 mins.
- Meanwhile, prepare the salad. Toss all the ingredients, except the peanuts, together in a bowl. To make the dressing, combine all the ingredients and set aside. Reheat the remaining sauce, adding a splash of water if it has become too thick. Toss the dressing through the salad and divide between 2 plates, then top with the smashed peanuts. Cut the pork into thick slices, arrange alongside the salad, then drizzle over the sauce. Serve with Coconut rice (see tip, above).
Notes for the cook: if you have a fan-assisted oven then reduce the specified temperature in the recipe by about 15% ~ 1 teaspoon = 5ml and 1 tablespoon = 15ml ~ some ingredients are measured in cups and some equivalents are; 150g, 6oz (1/2 cup) = 120ml, 4fl oz