Try these 'Old Hanoi' Spring Rolls With A Sweet Chilli Dipping Saucestarter
- Prep time:
- 30 mins
- Cook time:
- 5 mins
- Suitable for:
- Meat Eaters (can be Vegetarian)
- Provided by:
- Leen B
These Vietnamese spring rolls are just SO SO tasty that it's difficult to describe. Any unusual ingredients can be found in most Asian delis and for a vegetarian version simply leave out the pork. Start by mixing together the really easy sweet chilli dipping sauce below...
Warm the following ingredients through gently until the Haughton Honey is fully dissolved: 5 tbps warm water, 1 tbsp Haughton Honey, 2 tbsp fish sauce, 1 tbsp fresh lime juice, 1 clove minced garlic, 1 tsp minced mild chilli and a drop (yes, JUST a drop!) of Sriracha hot sauce.
- 1/2 cup ground pork
- 1/4 medium white onion, very finely diced
- 4 spring onions (green part only), finely sliced
- 1 banana shallot, very finely diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut matchstick-size
- 1/4 cup sweet turnip or mooli, peeled and cut matchstick-size
- 1/4 cup bean sprouts, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup shitake (or chestnut) mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup glass noodles, soaked according to instructions and cut in to 1" lengths
- 1 egg, yolk and white separated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3-6 rice paper rounds
- 1 cup of groudnut or vegetable oil
- Fresh lettuce leaves, mint and corriander leaves for serving
- Mix everything together except for the egg whites, oil, lettuce, herbs and rice paper.
- With a pastry brush or your fingers, cover one side of a piece of rice paper lightly with egg white. This will moisten it enough to make it pliable but hopefully not tear. It also helps it fry to crispy perfection.
- Spoon 2-3 tbsp of mixture near the edge of the paper, spreading it linearly. Fold the edge of the paper over, tucking under the mixture, then fold left and right sides in as you roll it into...well...a roll.
- Repeat until you've used up all of the mixture. Heat the oil in a suitable pan or wok and gently drop the rolls in without allowing them to touch each other, turning almost constantly until they are an even golden brown (about 5 minutes).
- Cool on paper towels. Serve wrapped with the lettuce and the herbs aling with the dipping sauce.
- Try to share them!
Notes for the cook: if you have a fan-assisted oven then reduce the specified temperature in the recipe by about 15% ~ 1 teaspoon = 5ml and 1 tablespoon = 15ml ~ some ingredients are measured in cups and some equivalents are; 150g, 6oz (1/2 cup) = 120ml, 4fl oz